Monday, August 20, 2012

Otanjoubi omedetou

Gary Breckheimer, New York, NY, 2011
Happy birthday to me!

That's right. The big two-two--according to many, the year we stop giving a shit about our birthday. Really, I stopped giving a shit about my birthday years ago...but this one's a bit exciting.

Over the last couple years, a certain boy kept telling me that twenty-two is the year we REALLY begin to grow up. That a few deeper things start shifting around at twenty-two into a product more solid, more self-sufficient, more set in semi-permanent identities, which makes it all the more important. If you've read Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, I guess it'd be the year our daemons choose a permanent form, or something.

He told me all that, and I said, "You're full of shit, you pretentious toiletface."

But still, I thought it was a neat idea--something to look forward to.

And now I'm twenty-two, so I'll be able to see if his theory applies to me.

Granted, I don't think the clay's going to be drying yet. Not at twenty-two, and not any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. Pretentious Toiletface! ahhhahaha, that's awesome :)

    22 is your first solid year as a real adult but it's relative, don't know about demons choosing any permanent forms yet... then someone told me that [the fun] ends at 36... hogwash to that too.

    Happy two-two :)

    ReplyDelete